The Maricopa Association of Governments (MAG) has been notified by ADOT that $13 million of Transportation Enhancement funding will be made available for qualified programs statewide in 2010. Approximately $8 million could be made available for projects on local roads, and $5 million for enhancement projects on state roads.
Eligible projects include bike lane striping, wide paved shoulders, off-street trails or shared-use paths and bike parking, as just a few examples.
The bicycling community needs to act quickly to get any new proposed projects in front of bike/pedestrian planners and transportation department engineers. The application deadline to MAG for Maricopa County projects is Wednesday, April 21. The Coalition of Arizona Bicyclists can help put clubs, individual bicyclists and other interested parties in touch with the right person(s) to consider your ideas for potential projects.
Key dates related to this funding in Maricopa County (other counties, check with your local Association of Governments or City/County Transportation Dept.) include:
- Monday, March 22, 2010 – 9:00 a.m.: TE Funds Workshop at MAG offices, 302 N. First Ave., Phoenix (Saguaro Room, 2nd Floor). This workshop will explain project eligibility and the funding process.
- Friday, March 26, 2010: Applications will be available on the ADOT web site.
- Wednesday, April 21, 2010: 8 copies of completed enhancement funds application due to MAG (no e-mail or fax submissions accepted).
- Tuesday, May 4, 2010: Applicant Presentations to MAG Enhancement Peer Review Group.
- Tuesday, June 8, 2010: MAG EPRG ranks applications.
Subsequent to the above, MAG staff will further review applications, make site visits, give feedback to applicants, etc., in preparation for final application submittal and reviews and approval by the State Transportation Board in November of 2010.