Back to school safety media day: CAzB president Bob Beane was on hand along with Tempe Police Sgt. Steve Carbajal to remind motorists that school is back in session and to exercise extra care.
- Please exercise care when passing bicyclists.
- Allow a safe passing distance (at least 3 feet, per AZ law).
- Exercise extra care when making right and left hand turns across traffic and bike routes/lanes.
- Look both ways at all driveways and intersections
- Make sure your bike is in good working order (brakes, handlebars, etc.)
- Be visible. If riding after dusk and before dawn, make sure you have a front light and rear reflector that meets AZ legal requirements. We also suggest a rear red light in addition to the required reflector.
- Ride predictably.
- Ride defensively (don’t assume that motorists see you).
- Ride with traffic (same direction)…it’s safer than riding opposing traffic.
- Wear a bicycle helmet.
The group Active Living Resource Center (ALRC) provides resources and tools to help you make walking and bicycling part of your community’s healthy lifestyle.
There is an excellent brief guide there “Bicycle Safety: What every parent should know“.