March 23, 30; April 6, 13, 20, 27; May 4: Better Mountain Biking
If you …
- Have a mountain bike, and want to try taking it off-road.
- Are nervous riding with friends or significant others because they ride “those hard trails”.
- Don’t want to slow your friends down, because “they’re a lot better than me”.
- Have tried to teach friends how to mountain bike, but find it hard to explain things.
- Have been riding for a few years and would like to take it to the next level.
- Are experienced and want to refine your technique … then check out this workshop!
Better Mountain Biking sessions start at Noon on Saturdays and go until 4:00, “or when everyone gets tired”, according to Ranger Randy Victory. “These will be trail rides on the dirt, with some instruction on the pavement.” Victory, a certified cycling instructor (a mountain biker since 1977), will offer everything from basic riding techniques, to physics, to trail etiquette. The rides are fun and educational for beginners, but even experienced bikers ride away with new skills & knowledge. “There’s always a certain amount of interaction between riders,” explains Victory. “Group rides where the beginners are supportive of each other, and more experienced riders can offer their insight are an excellent way to build skills, and have a great time doing it. The focus is on fun!” Riders will be REQUIRED to wear a helmet and complete an Acknowledgment of Risk Form (parents must sign for riders under 18 years old, minimum age 14-16). They should also bring water and make sure their bike is in good working order. Flat protection (Slime tire sealant, for example) and riding gloves are strongly recommended. The rides will start at the Raptor Trailhead at the top of Roadrunner Road in the park. For more information, call Ranger Victory at 928-301-1190 or email rvictory(at)azstateparks.gov. The Day use fee of $7.00 applies, or Annual Passes are accepted. In addition there will be a program fee of $5.00 per rider collected at the time of the session.
visit www.pr.state.az.us/parks/DEHO/ for forms and more info.