THANKS TO ALL SPEAKERS, VOLUNTEERS, and PARTICIPANTS. You all made Arizona Bicycling Summit 2016 a success!
Presented by: Coalition of Arizona Bicyclists and the City of Mesa
With Support from: Perimeter Bicycling Association of America
Other Participants: IMBA, ADOT Bike/Ped, GABA, CASAz, FHWA, MAG, Flagstaff Biking Organization, Valley Metro, Yuma Region Bicycle Coalition, Verde Valley Cyclists Coalition, Pima County, Cities of Sedona, Peoria, Tucson, Buckeye and more…
Friday, April 1, 2016
Program Time: 9:00 am – 5:00 pm Check-in begins at 8:30 am
Location: Mesa Convention Center, Bldg C, North Center St., Mesa, AZ 85201
Vehicle Parking: UPDATE Free parking in garage just east of convention center [parking map] — please do not use the surface lot west of the convention center.
Bike Parking: There should be ample room to bring bikes into the meeting room.
Meet with AZ Bicycling Advocates and Public Representatives
Be there…be informed…be involved!!!
Expert Speakers, Staffed Displays, Panels and Handout Materials to Include (expected content based on commitments to date):
- 8:30 Check-in/Day-Of Registration, Visit display tables and network
- 9:00 Bob Beane, CAzB, President
-Welcome / Logistics / CAzB – Brief statement of who we are, mission/goals /Summit program overview
Morning Sessions: The Current Backdrop for Bicycling in Arizona
- 9:10 Kelly LaRosa, FHWA, Transportation Safety Specialist
(Summary of FHWA role with respect to bicycling, federal funding programs)
- 9:35 Teri Kennedy, MAG, Transportation Improvement Program Manager
(MAG process for allocating federal funds for bicycling infrastructure/programs) Maricopa County Bikeways Chronlogical Progression 1992-2020
- 10:00 Steve Farley, AZ State Senator / District 9
(“Standing Up for Bicyclists – Common Sense vs. the Arizona Legislature”)
- 10:30 Patrick Kell, IMBA, Southwest Region Director
(“IMBA’s advocacy work in Arizona and across the southwestern states”)
- 11:10 Matt Zoll, Pima County Transportation, Pima County Bicycle & Pedestrian Program Coordinator
(“The Loop” project /Pima County Bicyclist Education Program)
- 11:50 Joseph Perez, City of Phoenix, Traffic Engineer
(Proposition 104/budget impacts, Phoenix Bike Plan, connectivity and audience driven topics)
- 12:10 Lunch – Mesa Convention Center Café, Visit display tables and network
Afternoon Sessions: Advocacy Examples, Current/Recent Projects in Arizona
- 1:00 Video – Late, Late Show Commentary on Coronado, CA, bike lane resistance
- 1:05 Brandon Forrey, City of Peoria, Transportation Planning Engineer
(Various Bike Lane Projects in Peoria)
- 1:30 Gene Dalbey, Yuma Region Bicycle Coalition, Chairperson (and CAzB Advisory Committee Member)
(“The Yuma Experience”)
- 1:55 New Mountain Bike Parks in Arizona
-Flagstaff: Anthony Quintile, Flagstaff Biking Organization, Board Member
-Sedona: Doug Copp, City of Sedona, Bicycle Program Coordinator
-Mesa: Andrea Moore, City of Mesa, Park Planning and Operations Administrator
-Buckeye: Phil Reimer, City of Buckeye
Afternoon Break 3:10
- 3:20 Andy Bemis, City of Tucson, Bicycle and Pedestrian Program Planner
(Bicycle Boulevard Project)
- 3:40 Michael Sanders, ADOT, Bicycle/Pedestrian Coordinator
(ADOT bicycle-related policies, Bike/Ped resources, US Bicycle Route system routes in AZ)
- 4:25 Gail Hildebrant/Ed Beighe – CAzB Board Members
(Law Enforcement Training Program co-edited by CAzB/City of Glendale)
- 4:50 Bob Beane, CAzB, President (Summary Comments)
- 5:00 Adjourn
Online pre-registration available through:
Registration fees (all registrations will include a lunch ticket for the on-site MCC Café)
- $25 for early/regular on-line registration, through March 20, 2016.
- $30 for late on-line registration, March 21 through March 30 (end of on-line registration)
- $35 for day-of/walk-up registration on April 1 (cash and check, only)
BOOK NOW FOR BEST RATES and availability. The Marriot Mesa is the closest to the Convention Center. Discount codes are valid for El Tour de Mesa, El Tour Criterium as well as the Arizona Bicycling Summit
Please use hashtag #ArizonaBicyclingSummit
Also note that all public materials from the Summit are in this shared folder.
Thanks to The Damion Alexander Team (facebook login may be required to view), there’s a photo album from the summit.